Friday, November 22, 2013

John F. Kennedy - a Remembrance from 50 years ago today

50 years ago today - November 22, 1963.  I was sitting in Miss McGowan's 6th grade class at Meridian School in Kokomo, Indiana.  Second row from the window, next to last seat, that is how well I remember this day.  Our principal, Mr. George Dunbar, came into the class looking white as a ghost.  He whispered something to Miss McGowan, who was visibly shaken.  He then announced "The President has been shot."  Gasps, but cheers from one boy a couple rows over, quickly subdued by threats of immediate violence from other students.  I was sent to a basement storage room to get an old radio and copper wire to use as a ground and antenna.  We set that up, and listed to Walter Cronkite.  I recall so clearly Cronkite's voice as he announced that the President had died.  Very few events in my life have moved me so strongly.  Rest in Peace, John F. Kennedy, you were taken from us far too soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Greg. I grieve the lose to history and the nation of its greatest President since Lincoln or FDR and there has been none since.
    Johnny, we hardly knew y'a.

    ReplyDelete